In any diet it is important to have the correct fats for weight loss. In the world of shrinking waist lines, many people consider fats as their enemy. However, that it is not always the case. In fact, weight loss and good fats are closely related. Did you know that a no-fat diet can gravely damage your health and may result in death? Yes, you’ve read it, right. So, if you are planning to exclude all fat-containing foods in your diet, you will just find yourself six feet below the ground someday. The human body needs fatty acids every single day in order to feel contented and full.
The following are some of the benefits of good fats:
• Maintenance of the immune system
• Preservation of digestive health
• Optimal organ functions
• Optimal nervous system and brain function
• Regulation of hormones
If your body does not receive the right amount of essential fatty acid it needs, it can lead to health conditions and diseases such as obesity, stroke, heart diseases, asthma, diabetes, cancer, ADHD and depression.
The Truth About Bad Fats
Now that you know why good fat is great for your weight loss goal, it is about time to know the ugly truth about bad fats. One of the most detrimental bad fats is the hydrogenated one, which is also referred to as trans fat or trans-fatty acids. When shopping in the grocery store, read labels carefully. If you spot some foods containing hydrogenated or trans fat, don’t purchase them. Trans fat can increase your bad cholesterol in the body, which can result in diabetes, cancer, heart diseases and clogged arteries. Since the human body does not process trans fat, it will be considered as toxins and will be stored in the cells. Worse, trans fat consumption can also increase your cravings for food, so you have to make healthy food choices.
In order for you not to experience the negative effects of hydrogenated fats, you have to avoid shortenings and margarine. You should also not consume convenience foods such as snacks, cookies, popcorn, chips and crackers.
See that? Weight loss and good fats work hand in hand while weight gain and bad fats also go together. To achieve your weight loss goals, it just takes saying “no” to what you must avoid and saying “yes” to what you must consume.
Good Fats – The Solution
If you want to lose weight the healthy way, then you need to consume foods rich in essential fatty acids also known as EFA. This type of fatty acid comes in two kinds –Omega 6 and Omega 3. These are commonly found in walnuts, eggs, salmon, vegetables, sunflower, corn, grains and meats. It comes with lauric acid, which is known for its ability in preventing heart diseases, improving the immune system and increasing the metabolic rate, which enables you to boost your energy levels. Since weight loss and good fats are intertwined, you have to go for this fat group.
The following are some of the foods containing good fat for weight loss:
• Avocado – This fruit is not just high in monounsaturated fats, but also comes with a double whammy. It contains mannoheptulose, a starch that inhibits the secretion of insulin. This can greatly benefit individuals with insulin resistance, which is one of the major causes of metabolic syndrome. To date, the said syndrome affects over 40 percent of the United States population.
• DHA/EPA oil – DHA and EPA are made from 100% omega 6 and omega 3 fats. Numerous researches and studies have shown that these oils had significant effects over hormone balance, mood, cortisol control, and inflammation.
• Grass-fed beef – Research has shown that a grass-fed beef has various effects on the omega 3/6 ratios and LDL/HDL ratio when eaten by humans. It has also been shown to enhance blood lipid profiles, which implies that it promotes the health of the cardiovascular system.
• Virgin coconut oil – This is considered as the king of good fats. Research has shown that it can increase the body’s fat burning rate after ingestion. This oil acts as a potent antioxidant by lowering inflammation, and thus helps the metabolism of blood sugar. It also comes with brown fat-burning properties.
Contrary to the belief of many people, fats are the underlying cause of weight loss. What they don’t know is that good fats exist, which aid their body to burn bad fats quickly. If you were surprised on what you have discovered in this chapter, be a good friend to others by telling them the truth so that they do not lose weight improperly.